Please note: All images on this blog (except where noted) are original works of Miki Baxter and cannot be duplicated without permission. Also, if you're inspired by a project featured on here, then please link back to me and give proper credit. Thank you!!!

10.15.2010

30 Day Blog Challenge: Day 5


Day 5: My Siblings

I am a...Middle Child.
Need I say more?

Yes, most of the things they say about middle children are true with me. 
The following information comes from an article, 
Middle Children: Finding Their Own Pride of Place by Robert Needlman, M.D., F.A.A.P. 

Middle children. 
They often aren't the biggest and strongest, 
they aren't the babies who get away with murder, 
they aren't really anything special, at least in their own minds. 
Sometimes they feel invisible. 
But this uncomfortable feeling of not having a defined place in the family 
may actually turn out to be an advantage. 
Unlike first children, 
who often define success by their ability to meet their parents' expectations, 
middle children are more prone to rebel against the status quo
Another result of having a less well-defined place in the family is that 
middle children often reach outside the family for significant relationships. 
They make close circles of friends. 
As the underdogs themselves in many sibling conflicts, 
middle children often develop a fine sense of empathy with the downtrodden... 
Where first and last children may tend to be self-centered, 
middle children often take a genuine interest in getting to know other people. 
Being in the middle, 
they may find it easier to look at interpersonal situations from various points of view. 

The most revealing part of the article above for me was 
"not having a defined place in the family can turn out to be an advantage." 
Though I often felt lonely when my brother and sister conspired together, 
it taught me to stand alone and for myself. 
It enabled me to find my voice early in life and to depend on my inner resources of creativity, imagination, and sometimes sheer will to navigate through life, 
both in my younger years and even now as an adult. 

 I wrote the above about being the Middle Child a few years ago,
but it's still very true today.
That's all I can share about my siblings right now.

No comments: