Please note: All images on this blog (except where noted) are original works of Miki Baxter and cannot be duplicated without permission. Also, if you're inspired by a project featured on here, then please link back to me and give proper credit. Thank you!!!

8.01.2010

My Mom Is In Heaven

Two days after my last post, my mother went home to be with the Lord.  Her Memorial Service was held a week after she passed on Friday, July 23rd.  After three weeks away from my own family, I returned home this week.
Being back home brings...Relief.  Comfort.  Space to process and grieve.

We had a Memorial Service by a river with the children, ending with us placing origami boats into the water.  I wanted them to have a moment and a memory of saying goodbye to their Oba-chan (Japanese for grandmother.)  
Grieving is an individual process - you never know how someone will deal with loss.  I was surprised at my reactions as well as those of my family members.  It's going to take time to work through it all.
God was there with me, providing many miracles that helped me endure some of the more difficult moments.  His Word provided so much comfort.  One of the most poignant miracles for me, a gift from God, was when my mother opened her eyes and squeezed my hands tightly.  She was pretty much in a coma for the two weeks prior to passing, and this was the most movement she had during that time.  I believe that she knew I was there with her and that she was in peace.

5 comments:

BARBIE said...

Miki, I was just thinking about you today. I am so sorry about your precious mother. I know there are no words I could say to bring you comfort. I am thankful that your mom let you know she knew you were by her side. How comforting that must have been. Know I am praying for you. You are loved so very much. I am here for you.

Laine said...

I am so sorry for your loss, I hope that God continues to bring you peace and comfort through this time of grief. I'm so glad that you had a moment with your mom, her squeezing your hand and opening her eyes, what a precious moment. Praying for you sweet sister.

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

I, too, have that moment of smiling and eye contact that was my last meaningful interaction with my dad. Praying for you, my friend.

Mark D said...

Thinking of you and praying for you.

Carolina Girl said...

Miki,
I am sorry for your loss, glad you are home, and request you email me your address. I want to put together a small package for you. Not that it will help with the grief, but it will make me feel better :) I pray you are able to remember the good times, and get back to "normal" life soon enough.
Shellie